Sunday, February 21, 2010

A knitter's candy store...


I took another trip "overseas" today to Brooklyn General Store for more yarn... ahhh. I love that store. You have to know what you're looking for- the awning over the door says "Frank's Department Store"- luckily I'd seen a picture of the storefront on the website so recognized it- but once you get inside, knitter heaven.
Actually, I shouldn't say that- one knitter's heaven has nothing another wants. But it's the kind of place I go into and almost hyperventilate, because I get overwhelmed with wanting EVERYTHING. Lots of beautiful yarn, Rowan, Alchemy, Noro, Morehouse, Manos, things I'd never heard of, plus buttons and felting supplies and fabrics and fabric paint- sigh. And all kinds of beautiful ribbons, and even European knitted tights (a little randomly, admitted, but I got some last time and needed to get more). When I arrived, there was a (sewing) pattern making class going on in the back- they have tons of classes and I only wish I lived close enough to make that more do-able. Then again, if I lived closer, I'd be even deeper in debt.
Don't get me wrong; no store has EVERYTHING, and this one definitely has a specific market, with certain colors and fibers predominating- it's not terribly huge so they have to be selective, and luckily for me, my taste and theirs seems to coincide. The only thing I'd change (and there's always something, isn't there?!) is that some areas are not well lit; for example, lower shelves, and since I have trouble seeing color anyway, that can be an issue. But it's a minor consideration and easily worked around.
All in all, I look forward to a trip there as though I'm five and going to the toy store, though it's definitely a test of my self control (budget? what budget?) I'm so glad Jared Flood (BrooklynTweed.net) pointed me in their direction- if you're ever in the neighborhood, definitely stop by... (and no, I'm not a paid spokesman!)

Some of the booty

No comments:

Post a Comment