Saturday, March 13, 2010

Repetition

I wasn't surprised when I opened the Spring issues of Interweave Knits and Vogue knitting and found big features in each on lace knitting. After all, it's the Spring issue. But it was kind of weird when both mags had big feature articles on Kitchener stitch. It's funny how that happens in knitting- I remember once I designed a sweater in blue and white with the word for "peace" in many different languages knitted in. A few months later, Dale (I think it was Dale) came out with a sweater in blue and white with the word for "peace" in many languages knitted in. It wasn't exactly the same (of course) and even the concept must have occurred to us both independently since they must have had it already in production when mine came out, but it was a very weird coincidence.
Of course, sometimes repetition isn't a surprise. I just found out that a dear friend at work added a baby to her family and I wanted to whip out a baby sweater over the weekend, so I don't want to design something from scratch. What did I come up with? Yep, Zimmerman's 2-needle sweater (aka the February sweater) with a solid body rather than lace. (It's a boy and while I think gull lace is fine for a boy, especially in blue, there are those who disagree, and I don't know where the baby's parents fall). I have to get out of the Zimmerman baby sweater rut, but it's fast and almost automatic by now and I usually have something on hand in the right gauge... and if it ain't broke, as they say...

No comments:

Post a Comment